20 November 2006

California

I was in the bay area for a professional meeting and couldn’t resist having breakfast at my favorite spot in the city, The Crepevine. Besides the clever name, they have some absolutely wonderful food at rather reasonable prices. If you visit San Francisco, you can find them on Irving in the Richmond – just look for the blue van in front.

From there I headed across the Bay Bridge into Berkley to visit Lacis, Frances’ favorite craft store. I was planning to do some early Xmas shopping, but unfortunately, they were closed.

Having been thwarted, I decided to take the long way home and drive Highway 1 along the coast. It was absolutely beautiful. A soft cool breeze lifted off the Pacific and carried the scent of pine, sage, fennel, and eucalyptus growing on the shore cliffs. Traffic was light, which meant I could drive the speed limit rather than 20 MPH below following some stupid, slow dinosaur of an SUV driven by a fat republican fearful of curves and change. I was surprised that the stretch of road near Lucia and cutting through a green schist outcrop is still unpaved! I reached San Luis Abysmal at sunset and rejoined the 101 through LA and on to home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frances Goodman فرانسيس said...

Nice. Crepes and the coast. I'm jealous.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Sorry you missed my friends on your drive home. The ones driving the big SUV, with a bumper sticker proclaiming: "I'm a fat old republican fearful of curves and change". I'll tell them you said hi.

6:34 PM  
Blogger el tapatio said...

I could not believe this. I actually worked at the crepevine for many years. I love their food, atmosphere, and of course, prices.

the place is owned by Jordanians by the way.

9:48 PM  
Blogger K said...

I really do think that the crepevine is the best breakfast in SF. I didn't know that it is owned by Jordanians - small world.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Herman said...

now, i know where you disappeared to -- I want to visit the desert -- touch base

6:57 AM  
Blogger Steven Kesler said...

The Crepevine is pretty good. The next time you find yourself up in the Bay Area you should drive over to the Jack London Square area in Oakland and have a great breakfast or brunch at the Fat Lady.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Dar said...

Hello there , how r u , may i have yr email plz , if u dont mind ya3ni , email me at hotice130@yahoo.com

CheeerZ!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home