28 January 2010

New Filling

I got a new filling this afternoon.  I noticed last month that an existing filling was discolored, and I began to overreact.  I have no insurance in the States, but I knew I’d be in Jordan soon, so I decided I’d see if I could have it taken care of here.

So I called Dr. Bustani at 11 this morning.  I met him in 2006 at a Friends of Archaeology trip to Salt.  He personally got on the phone to make the appointment, and told me I could be there at noon.  I figured I have to wait until next week, or worse, he’d never have time for an appointment, so I was so happy that I could show up an hour after calling.  I walked into his office, and he introduced himself again, and asked me about trips with the FoA crowd, and we talked about archaeology in Jordan.  Then he asked me what I needed, and I told him, and he looked at the filling, and agreed that it needed to be replaced.  He gave me the shot to numb me, and then did the cleaning while we waited for that.  He used this crazy thing that was loud and vibrated a lot, but the cleaning was done pretty quickly.  Then, he drilled out the old filling, gave me a new white filling, and did a fluoride treatment.  The whole thing took about 40 minutes, and the entire time he was talking with me, and making sure I was ok.

When it was done he gave me handouts in English that talked about all the procedures, and follow up care.  Then, he asked me if I have insurance in the States, and I told him no.  He asked, “Why do they do that to you?”  Good question.  The entire bill was 38 JD, or around 60 USD.  The fluoride treatment was the most expensive thing at 16 JD.

This is my second time seeking medical treatment in Jordan, and I’m again really happy with my experience.  I’m actually envious of the care available here.  It’s the same standards as the care I can’t afford in the States, but here I can actually have a filling and cleaning done for about 40 USD.  Dr. Bustani was nice, and helpful.  I’m a big baby, and he was perfectly kind about all of it.  I’m pleased with the work, and if my face wasn’t still half numb, I’d feel better.  As with the first time I went to a doctor here, everything was done in English, so I didn’t have the additional nervousness of trying to get through all of it in Arabic.

It’s official: I’m a medical tourist.

4 Comments:

Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Here’s what my dental insurance coverage would have reimbursed my dentist in the US for the services you received:
1. Prophylaxis (cleaning) – Adult $83
2. Comprehensive oral evaluation (examination) $80
3. Resin based composite- one surface posterior - replacement $58
4. Fluoride. I’m guessing for the fluoride treatment because here we only do fluoride on kids now that we have fluoride in our water. $50. Total $271.

In fairness, there are legitimate indirect costs associated with such services. The dentist has to pay an administrator to complete and submit insurance claims, to bill me for any difference, and to maintain auditable records. These are real costs, not just gravy. But still…

10:20 PM  
Blogger Martha in Michigan said...

Not much to say but I have to write, since I'm still half-numb, too! Just had a 28-year-old filling replaced—the first "work" I recall having done in decades. Remembered what a baby I am, too. It was not at all bad, but I still hated it.
I bet the loud cleaning thing used ultrasonics, to clean your teeth as we might clean jewelry. I love my ultrasonic toothbrush. [Clearly, I need a life.]

9:35 PM  
Blogger saffronfish said...

How much for about three root canals and 2 implants?

4:58 AM  
Blogger فرانسيس said...

Good question. I'm sure he would take good care of you.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home