17 December 2006

Blogs, Flu, and a Plane

As a news junkie, I spend a good chunk of time each day reading on-line newspapers and a selection of favorite blogs. While the BBC and the Washington Post have plenty of news, I always turn to blogs for analysis as I find them much more in line with rational thought than media corporations tend to be. They also tend to be much funnier.

Currently, my favorite political blog is Sadly, No!, a blog based in Europe, but including American contributors. They are not only side-splittingly funny to read, but both their analysis and the comments of their devout readers are right on the money. Over the weekend they posted about the Iraq Study Group’s report to Our Dear Leader, and a subsequent editorial in the Washington Post. Charles Krauthammer, a frequent contributor to the WaPo slammed the report, very much echoing the position that Bush has taken. While these things really did happen, and it really makes my head hurt, there are still Americans who are appalled both by this administration and by voices like Krauthammer’s. It makes my head ache a little less to be reminded daily of this. One of the Sadly, No! contributors, Travis G., asks in his post if the Administration is delaying their announcement about a new Iraq strategy simply because they have not thought of a catchy name for this next phase of shame. I wouldn’t doubt it. Enter the S,N! commenters who provide some of the funniest reading material I’ve seen on this. (After all, I have to laugh to keep from crying.) On of my favorites is “Operation Oedipus Tex.” “Operation Futile Crescent,” was another. I feel a bit guilty reading this blog and laughing at the stupid things Bush does because very little of what he does is funny. Still, it’s a small antidote to the venom Bush Co. has put out in the world, and perhaps I should take comfort in what little comfort there is.

In the mean time, I am so sick. I read this morning in the Jordan Times that the Kingdom is currently in the midst of a flu epidemic. No kidding. K is on his way to Jordan as I type, and I hope that I can be done with this cold/flu in the next 14 hours, or our 2 weeks together is going to be spent hovering over a humidifier.

K is here right now. I need to feel better quickly!

2 Comments:

Blogger Weeping Sore said...

I liked "Operation Look! A Pony! Recently, somebody on the Daily Show paraphrased the Iraq options as "Go short, go long, or go fuck yourself". Sometimes, we have to laugh to keep from crying.

Before blogs which permitted us all to speak our minds, it was easy to assume that the leader spoke for his entire nation. Sure, there were those who disagreed - corporate media and political talking heads - but still. Good to be reminded that all Americans aren't mindless idiots, despite the impressions made mostly by our elected officials and corporate shills.

9:07 PM  
Blogger and life goes on... said...

Oh that's cooooooooool! flying LH :)

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home